BOOST Personal and Work Development Programme for Men and Women
A specialised development course designed for people relatively new to the workplace, and in the early stages of their careers.
BOOST is a personal and work development programme for men and women who are relatively new to the working world, and in the early stages of their careers. They may be in jobs full time or part time, in apprenticeships or traineeships and could be any age. Boost prepares participants to develop their careers quickly and effectively, by teaching them how to be more career ‘savvy’. The BOOST development programme aims to instil a positive sense of direction, boost confidence and teach essential skills that will enable people who are just beginning their careers, to progress rapidly and achieve their goals. The programme complements and enhances learning on work-based training schemes.
Who is the BOOST development programme suitable for?
BOOST is for those who are new to work or in the early stages of their careers, who are looking to progress and further their careers. It is suitable for men and women of all ages from all walks of life. As well as being used by people at the start of their careers and the beginning of work life, some participants choose to take part in the programme after being in work for a year or two so that they can give their work lives focus.
For employers, the BOOST development programme enables staff to get to grips with their career goals and make the most of the possibilities on offer to them in order to enable them to give more and get more from their work. In short, BOOST is all about developing new staff, apprentices, trainees and low-level employees to their fullest potential.
What does the BOOST career development programme consist of?
Delivered through four one-day workshops, BOOST consists of:
- an attractive and comprehensive participants folder – which is used during the workshops and in the time between workshops
- an information resource with materials which complement the workshops and the participants folder
- a strong support system of helpful mentors
- guest speakers to provide role models, inspiration and examples
- opportunities for job shadowing and potential work experience
- establishing a network of people learning and developing together, involving people from other parts of the organisation
Overall, the BOOST career development programme looks to help participants to:
What results can I expect?
The BOOST career development programme does exactly what it says. Participants:
Nothing much prepares you for the world of work. Participants often say they felt they were floundering a bit before doing the Boost programme; in a foreign land where everyone else was speaking a foreign language. Boost gives them confidence, direction, focus and down-to-earth practical skills to make the most of themselves at work.
- 89% of the participants said their confidence has increased substantially
- 83% of participants will recommend this training to colleagues
- 72% said they now know how to increase their confidence
- 67% say their work performance is already more effective
- 67% say their assertiveness skills have improved
- 61% say they have benefitted from being mentored
- 56% say they now deal with customers and other staff better
- 56% say they are now more likely to fulfil their potential at work
Overall, I really enjoyed the Boost programme. Gave me time to reflect on work/home life and my strengths, which I had failed to do so before.
The most beneficial element for me has been having a mentor. Between the trainer and these sessions I have really focused on where I want to be, what my skills are and what I need to do to get there. The programme has given me clear career goals.
This has been a great experience and an extremely useful programme. It not only works on your professional role but the whole you, and this in turn impacts on your professional role.
It has opened up a multitude of learning and career development opportunities and helped support me on my career journey.
Darren Oliver, Subject Matter Expert, Operations NCSC
Fantastic opportunity to develop myself, both at work and home. The supportive nature of the group enabled me to advance in my field.
Ben Matthewson, Registration Assessor, Operations North East
Helpful and inspiring, well presented with appropriate course information given at the correct time.
David Kewn, NCSCA